Korte Sabel Hollands model n°2

Van het prille begin tot de vooravond van de Eerste Wereldoorlog

Moderators: Exjager, piot1940, Bram1940

Plaats reactie
t.hipler

Korte Sabel Hollands model n°2

Bericht door t.hipler »

Hello everyone,

I cannot speak Dutch, so I put my question in English: I recently bought a sabre, which looks very much like the "Korte Sabel Hollands model No 2" depicted on your homepage (see attachment). There is an "L" in a square stamped on the guard (see attachment), on the guard, there is also a stamp, that is only half visible: "HD" with a crown on top (I am not entirely sure about the "H"). Other stamps have apparently been filed off.
Now my questions:
Do you think, my identification is correct (the guard of the grip seems of a slightly different shape)?

If I am right:
which units of the Belgian army would have worn these sabres and from when until when?

If I am wrong:
Do You have any idea, where this sabre is from then?

Thank you in advance for your help
Best regards
Thomas Hipler
Je hebt niet voldoende permissies om de bijlagen van dit bericht te bekijken.
anthony
Contacteer:

Re: Korte Sabel Hollands model n°2

Bericht door anthony »

Even een vrije vertaling voor hen die geen Engels machtig zijn en deze mens toch wensen te helpen:

Hallo iedereen,

Ik spreek geen Nederlands, dus stel ik mijn vraag in het Engels. Ik kocht onlangs een sabel/zwaard, die erg goed lijkt op de "Korte Sabel Hollands model N° 2" zoals te zien is op jullie homepagina. Er is een "L" in een vierkant (stempel) aanwezig op de guard (wat is guard in het nederlands?). Er is ook een stempel die maar beperkt zichtbaar is "HD" met een kroon erop. (Ik ben niet geheel zeker over de "H"). Andere stempels zijn blijkbaar afgeveild.

Nu mijn vraag:
Denken jullie dat mijn identificatie correct is? (De guard van de handgreep lijkt een ietwat andere vorm te hebben?)

Als ik juist ben:
Welke eenheden van het Belgische leger zouden dan deze sabels gebruiken hebben en in welke periode?

Als ik fout ben:
Heeft iemand dan enig idee van waar deze sabel afkomstig is?

Alvast bedankt voor jullie hulp.
Vriendelijke groeten,
Thomas Hipler

@ Thomas Hilper
I've translated your question to Dutch, so the forummembers who cannot speak English can help you aswell. I'll try to translate the Dutch replies (if any) to English so you can read them.
Mvg,
Anthony Degrande
RAL

Bericht door RAL »

Het is inderdaad een n°2. Gezien de stempeling in Luik gemaakt. De twee letters onder een kroon verwijst vermoedelijk naar een produktie in Luik voorafgaand aan de onafhankelijkheid. De verwijdering van eenheidsstempels op de rug van het handvat kan wijzen op een hergebruik door de Belgen na de onafhankelijkheid.
Deze infanteriesabel werd gebruikt door alle infanterie eenheden tot ongeveer 1890. Nadien werd die nog verder gedragen door administratieve eenheden tot net voor 1914.
anthony
Contacteer:

Bericht door anthony »

RAL schreef:Het is inderdaad een n°2. Gezien de stempeling in Luik gemaakt. De twee letters onder een kroon verwijst vermoedelijk naar een produktie in Luik voorafgaand aan de onafhankelijkheid. De verwijdering van eenheidsstempels op de rug van het handvat kan wijzen op een hergebruik door de Belgen na de onafhankelijkheid.
Deze infanteriesabel werd gebruikt door alle infanterie eenheden tot ongeveer 1890. Nadien werd die nog verder gedragen door administratieve eenheden tot net voor 1914.
It's a No 2 indeed. From the stamps you can see it was made in Luik (Liège). The two letters beneath the crown probably tells us that the sabre was made in Luik (Liège) before the independance of Belgium. The removal of the unit stamps on the backside of the grip can indicate a sabra that was reused by the Belgians after the independance.
This infantry sabre was used by all infantry units untill aprox 1890. Afterwards it was still carried by the administrative units untill just before 1914.
Mvg,
Anthony Degrande
t.hipler

Bericht door t.hipler »

Hello everyone, thanks:

@ Anthony: Thank you for your translation services, which made sure there was an answer to my question.
@ RAL: Thank you for your answer, that was quick.

Your theory, that it was produced before Belgium became independant is new to me. My own theory until now was, that the sabre was probably not so old but maybe simply stolen from the army, and the markings therefore effaced to conceal its origin. Wouldn`t the new Belgian state have put its own markings on the weapon, had it been taken over from the Dutch army?

Is the crowned HD marking a sure sign, that it was once in possession of the Dutch military? Actually I have taken a photo of the marking, but I left the cable at my brother's, so I can't transfer the picture to my computer ...
Does the L- marking mean, that it was made in Luik/Liege?

Thanks again for the quick replies
best regards
Thomas
RAL

Bericht door RAL »

The L marking is not an official sign. It is to be found in different shapes on several pre-1830 Liège produced brass componets.
The same goes for the HD marking under crown on several Dutch blades.
t.hipler

Bericht door t.hipler »

Hello again,
I have my cable now and have transferred the photo of the crowned HD-marking to my computer. As they say, a picture says more than a thousand words: Does it confirm your theory of Dutch origin?

Best Regards
Thomas
RAL

Bericht door RAL »

This HD type under this type of crown sets the whole lot back in the 2nd half of the 19th century. So purely Belgian ! See photo of 1868 sawback:
t.hipler

Bericht door t.hipler »

Thank you for the information.
Do you still think it was procuced in Liege? And what do you think about my theory of it being stolen from the Army (effaced markings)?

Best regards
Thomas
RAL

Bericht door RAL »

Seen the L marking, it was produced in Liège.
Stolen from the army? Every theory is possible.
From around the year 1900 they were also available on the surplus market.
abbl64

Bericht door abbl64 »

Hello Thomas,
it is correct that it is a Dutch short saber model Nr2.
The sabers that were in service with the Dutch and were taken over by Belgium after 1830, are on the blade with Dutch markings such as No1 or W. (Willem I)
The HD brand with crown can also be seen on the Belgian M1889 bayonet that was used by the Belgian army at the beginning of WWI.
That is why my theory is that this saber was made in Belgium to make up for the shortage of sabers in the Artillery.
This saber was still used by the Artillery as a "machete" or "faschinenmesser" to make the positions of the guns with branches and tree trunks.
The regiment number and letter are on the back of the handle. This way you can see which regiment he belonged to.
Greetings Lucien
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “1830-1914”