A new UK member

Moderators: Exjager, piot1940, Bram1940

Plaats reactie
VUT

A new UK member

Bericht door VUT »

Greetings!

Some of you may be surprised to learn that a former Belgian VUT is being restored in the UK, Vickers number 1392 built in April 1936. The vehicle has since the war lead a hard life in France as a small agricultural tractor. Since coming to the UK the previous British owner decided it was really a British utility tractor and that it was both built for and used exclusively by the British Army so totally ignoring its Belgian heritage. I'm rebuilding it as a Belgian VUT.

Attached are pictures showing the VUT as found in France and it shouldn't have been in the BEF. The previous owner claimed it was at Dunkirk....

De groeten!

Sommigen van jullie kunnen verbaasd zijn om te leren dat een voormalige Belgische VUT in het Verenigd Koninkrijk wordt hersteld, Vickers nummer 1392, gebouwd in april 1936. Het voertuig heeft sinds de oorlog een hard leven in Frankrijk geleverd als kleine landbouwtrekker. Sinds de komst naar het Verenigd Koninkrijk besloot de vorige Britse eigenaar dat het eigenlijk een Britse utilitaire trekker was en dat het zowel gebouwd was voor en uitsluitend door het Britse leger werd gebruikt, waardoor het Belgische erfgoed totaal negeerde. Ik herbouw het als een Belgische VUT.

Bijgevoegd zijn foto's die de VUT tonen zoals gevonden in Frankrijk en het zou niet in de BEF moeten zijn geweest. De vorige eigenaar beweerde dat het in Dunkerque was ....
Je hebt niet voldoende permissies om de bijlagen van dit bericht te bekijken.
piot1940
Contacteer:

Re: A new UK member

Bericht door piot1940 »

This is indeed surprising. There are few Utilitys left. There is one in the Brussels museum, one somewhere privately owned in Belgium. I think, but I can be mistake the former museum in Arlon had one. With yours we come to 3 or 4.

We would love to see pictures of the vehicle being restored.

be welcome on the forum

Jean
Bram1940
Beheerder

Bericht door Bram1940 »

Hello,

Welcome. Looking forward to see more pictures of the vehicle.

Bram
one_O_five
Admin

Bericht door one_O_five »

Welcome ...
VUT

Bericht door VUT »

I do have a magazine article about the earlier restoration from the Belgian VUT/French tractor into the British BEF VUT, of note is the mounting of the Bren gun....
Exjager
Sponsor 2022-2023
Contacteer:

Bericht door Exjager »

Welcome!
Iets m.b.t. 2 Jagers te Paard is steeds welkom.
Mijn website,http://www.legerdienst.be
VUT

Bericht door VUT »

A few pictures of the VUT pretending to be part of the British Expeditionary Force.

I do have hundreds of pictures of the restoration by the size of them are unfortunately to big for the site :cry:

Enkele foto's van de MAAT alsof ze deel uitmaken van de Britse Expeditie Force.
Ik heb honderden foto's van de restauratie door de grootte van hen zijn helaas te groot voor de site: :cry:
canadian2nd
Sponsor 2022-2023

Bericht door canadian2nd »

Hello
very nice done !
Are you going to mark it as it was marked as part of the Belgian Army or are you going to let it remain in the colours of the British Expeditionary Forces ?
I think that the markings for the Belgian Army are more rare to see in any military display show ?
regards
canadian
In memoriam mijn opa Gerard : Soldaat 4 Li 1932-33 / 18d veldtocht (23 Li) / KG gemaakt bij Gent / Eind 1944 : vrijwilliger bij 1005e Tpt Coy / Gesneuveld voor België t.g.v. V2 inslag te Hove op 31-1-1945. I will always remember him ....
VUT

Bericht door VUT »

NO!

I'm going one better than that. Instead all the bodywork in the pictures has been cut off including the mudguards and replaced with steel plate so it looks like it was when it was built for the Belgian Army. The majority of the bodywork has been completed it is only the engine that needs to be looked at and hopefully it should be running around before Christmas.

The vehicle will be painted in a Belgian colour scheme.

I wish to thank Jean Lummerzheim, Walter Opstal, Jan Roelse and Alain Henry de Frahan who have provided so much help in this project in going out of their way to help a foreign stranger.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nee!

Ik ga beter dan dat. In plaats daarvan is alle carrosserie in de foto's afgesloten, inclusief de modderwachters en vervangen door stalen plaat, zodat het lijkt alsof het was voor het Belgische leger. Het merendeel van de carrosserie is voltooid. Het is alleen de motor die moet worden bekeken en hopelijk zou het voor Kerstmis moeten rondlopen.

Het voertuig wordt in een Belgisch kleurenschema geverfd.

Ik wil Jean Lummerzheim, Walter Opstal, Jan Roelse en Alain Henry de Frahan bedanken die zo veel hulp in dit project hebben geleverd om buitenlandse vreemdeling te helpen.
VUT

Bericht door VUT »

Here are some pictures of the VUT in the Brussels Museum and this is what mine will look like once finished. At the moment I'm making the rear tip up seats for the two man gun crew.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hier zijn enkele foto's van de VUT in het Brusselse Museum en dit is wat de mijne eruit zal zien als het klaar is. Op dit moment ben ik de achterste stoel voor de twee man-ploegpersoneel gemaakt.
VUT

Bericht door VUT »

Below are some links of the previous restoration of the VUT Which Jean Lummerzheim has kindly posted for me.

Beware; As we say in the UK, take with a pinch of salt.

http://www.abbl1940.be/FORUMFOTOS/DSCF2313_A.JPG
http://www.abbl1940.be/FORUMFOTOS/DSCF2314_A.JPG
http://www.abbl1940.be/FORUMFOTOS/DSCF2315_A.JPG
canadian2nd
Sponsor 2022-2023

Bericht door canadian2nd »

VUT schreef:NO!

I'm going one better than that. Instead all the bodywork in the pictures has been cut off including the mudguards and replaced with steel plate so it looks like it was when it was built for the Belgian Army. The majority of the bodywork has been completed it is only the engine that needs to be looked at and hopefully it should be running around before Christmas.

The vehicle will be painted in a Belgian colour scheme.

I wish to thank Jean Lummerzheim, Walter Opstal, Jan Roelse and Alain Henry de Frahan who have provided so much help in this project in going out of their way to help a foreign stranger.
Nee!

Ik ga beter dan dat. In plaats daarvan is alle carrosserie in de foto's afgesloten, inclusief de modderwachters en vervangen door stalen plaat, zodat het lijkt alsof het was voor het Belgische leger. Het merendeel van de carrosserie is voltooid. Het is alleen de motor die moet worden bekeken en hopelijk zou het voor Kerstmis moeten rondlopen.

Het voertuig wordt in een Belgisch kleurenschema geverfd.

Ik wil Jean Lummerzheim, Walter Opstal, Jan Roelse en Alain Henry de Frahan bedanken die zo veel hulp in dit project hebben geleverd om buitenlandse vreemdeling te helpen.

OK.
Your "NO" was the answer to my question if you would leave it like that on the photographs.
I quietly hoped that you would rebuild it in the Belgian Army colour scheme, and I see now that you are going to do that.
Excellent !
Hope to meet and see you on future War and Peace shows.
Most sincerely
Jan
In memoriam mijn opa Gerard : Soldaat 4 Li 1932-33 / 18d veldtocht (23 Li) / KG gemaakt bij Gent / Eind 1944 : vrijwilliger bij 1005e Tpt Coy / Gesneuveld voor België t.g.v. V2 inslag te Hove op 31-1-1945. I will always remember him ....
VUT

Bericht door VUT »

It certainly looks a lot better as a Belgian vehicle than the 'British one. Have you seen the links near the bottom of the page to the magazine article about the original restoration?

At one time I had two Canadian Windsor carriers, they both steer and drive like an oil tanker!

Het lijkt zeker veel beter als een Belgisch voertuig dan de 'Britse'. Heb je de links onderaan de pagina gezien in het tijdschriftartikel over de oorspronkelijke restauratie?

Op een keer had ik twee Canadese Windsor-dragers, ze sturen en rijden als een olietanker!
VUT

Bericht door VUT »

Work is still on going with the construction of one of the two tip-up seats that the VUT's gun crew sit on. Made from old commode frames the tubing has saved a considerable amount of time. So keep an eye open for discarded chairs and steel frames.

Er wordt nog steeds aan het werk gewerkt met de constructie van een van de twee tip-up stoelen waaraan de VUT's gun crew zit. Gemaakt van oude commode frames heeft de slang een aanzienlijke hoeveelheid tijd bespaard. Dus houd oog voor weggooide stoelen en stalen frames.front
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “De Landmacht”